Sunday, February 24, 2008

The knitted afghan

I did not fall into the knit your boyfriend a sweater trick. Mostly because I'm currently working on my first sweater for me, still. But almost a year ago, I started knitting a blanket. If we stayed together, it was for him. If not, it would be mine. ;) At first I made 6x6 squares and then 7x7 and then I threw caution to the wind and cast on a LOT for this square.


It is fun to practice seed stitch (something I really really am not good at) but mostly it's amazing to me to see how what was less-than-a-needleful of stitches has expanded in the knitting process to this 17+ inches wide square. Now that is how to make a project pick up speed!

No other news- I did pick up two more dress patterns (well, they were only a dollar each) at Hancock's this weekend to experiment with. Now I'm leaning towards McCall's 3129 and I have about seven patterns of the exact same dress (I also picked up 8107 for reasons unclear to me). Midterm exam tomorrow and then back to sewing!

Asking the blog: has anyone seen any pretty normal not-1980s flowered fabric suitable for this dress? Even my beloved Liberty fabric seems to be failing me!

Self-awareness update to the blog: it's now 8:30p and I haven't studied since I started making supper at 7p. Maybe I'm not so much worried about the dress or wedding as procrastinating...? Yeah, probably. *sigh* I'm off

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a pretty, small floral at ReproDepot:
http://www.reprodepot.com/rsmdwp.html
And a slightly larger chrsysanthemum-type floral:
http://www.reprodepot.com/rnblmvb.html
A tiny floral at Superbuzzy:
http://www.superbuzzy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88_89&products_id=2327
Here's one with a perfect name, "Fortune of Love":
http://www.superbuzzy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88_89&products_id=2122
Here's a gauzy watercolor print:
http://www.superbuzzy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=88_89&products_id=1597
Here's another sheer floral, with an old-fashioned charm:
http://purlsoho.com/purl/products/fabricdetail/3775
And I love this one because of the bees:
http://www.sewmamasew.com/ccp0-prodshow/MSBEBL.html
Good luck! I had fun shopping for you.

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

Funny lady! You are a funny lady.

Chicago Sarah said...

Thanks, anonymous! I love the fabrics (why didn't I even think of those sites?!). :)

Anonymous said...

Wild- I bought the same pattern at Hancocks' last weekend too....great sisters think alike! I do have a more fitted princess seamed dress with a straighter skirt if you'd prefer- a jewel neck and a v-neck options, plus 3/4, short and sleeveless options. Let me know- I can trace it for you and copy the directions, as its my dress pattern for SWAP. When I have a minute, I'll check the fabrics- some new fabric sites....yay!