Friday, February 8, 2008

dress options?

Tonight we looked at some possible rental houses for my sweetie's family to stay in (and with a beach for the wedding- well, a lawn on the beach really, because logistically that's much nicer). Whee! Now I've got a new vision- CROQUET with the clambake after the wedding! This is the area we're looking at (but can't rent the lighthouse, bummer!).


Okay, now to dresses. The average temp in June is 67F with span of 57-75F. Clearly, I've got to start hoping for full sun on the 28th. And perhaps a suit isn't a bad idea after all. I'm a bit torn- classic/retro suit with curves OR...cute summery dress with a cardigan? I hope the guests all remember to bring a jacket or whatever. Or I know- we could ask for blankets for wedding gifts and bust them out before the wedding (or not).

Any thoughts about these dresses?
Vogue 2900
with a print and the neckline changed to not a slit

Vogue 7871

in a really pretty print, clearly- focus on the fabric

Vogue 8232
I like this one a lot but I'm not sure I can pull off the jacket without looking tragically wanna-be hip. But I am going to make a muslin because I like it that much. A wearable muslin. Probably next month. :)

Butterick - B4790
Very cute but it might make me look like a giant balloon...


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I <3 # 3!!

JuliaR said...

What about Simplicity 3741? Feminine dress with a nice little jacket for when the temperature dips. Wide skirt to allow freedom of movement for croquet. Lots of hem for your sister to sew. Simplicity 3827 and 4675 also work but you would have to find a jacket pattern. I prefer the idea of a matching or complimentary jacket, to a cardigan. It's a little bit more dressy. But I would go for a cropped jacket and either a short or 3/4 sleeve. And you could make it unlined. (Go to http://www.simplicity.com and look at the dresses.)

Anonymous said...

I love the first and last pattern...You'll look gorgeous!!!!

rosanne said...

I think the third vogue is the best of the bunch. Princess seams are really lovely and will elongate your torso. With regards to the butterick, having made that pattern, it is *very* easy and really cute. However, it's really casual, too. You have to be careful of your material choice because the overskirt is considerably heavier than the front sheath. It's a good day dress. Keep us posted!

Anonymous said...

The Butterick pattern is cute, but too casual for a bride. I like #2, in a pretty white-on-white print with a little white fitted jacket.

Maybe you should shop for fabric first. A simple pattern is great for a fantastic fabric, but if you can't find amazing fabric you might prefer to use a more detailed pattern. And at 6 feet, you can handle a lot more detail than us little pipsqueaks can. After all, even at a casual wedding you will still want to look like The Bride, right?

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

I think that the third choice is the best of the four as well...the others are a little too casual. I'm also thinking that if I can get my lace knitting act together we can pick out a pattern and a shawl or wrap could develop...in white...with beads...that's right, I'm a fearless knitter.

Nancy Winningham said...

My favorite is V2900 - you will probably want some kind of jacket though. And I think the jacket on the other pattern is really cool. I would wear it. In fact, that jacket and dress would look really great on you

Anonymous said...

I made V2900 last summer, and it really comes out great, even though I am not the world's awesomest sewer. The lines are really nice, and it's super-slimming, especially if you have, as I do, a slightly larger than ideal butt.

mimi jackson said...

Hands down - the Butterick dress! I have that pattern, too (haven't made it yet)... Oh - to die for!

Reethi said...

I like #1 and #3. Your wedding sounds like its going to be a blast!

Anonymous said...

As the potential hemmer-to-be, I'm voting for #3. There are some awesome linens you can get online that would sew up fantastic- just treat them right first and you'll get very few wrinkles. I'm off to look at fabrics for you!!!

Emily said...

I just found your blog, and I have to post a comment! I'm getting married in Maine in October of next year! I'm also making my wedding dress! Anyway, I just had to tell you that I love #1 (I have that pattern and have been meaning to sew it up) and #3. Tough choice!

Emily said...

Oh, and I meant to ask -- where in Maine are you getting married?

Hieronymusxbosch said...

is that West Quoddy head lighthouse? That is definitely a beautiful place to get married in