Friday, February 8, 2008

A good dress pattern is hard to find

Especially when you are six feet tall and curvy. Or at least that's what I'm finding... The dresses that seem popular now aren't really ones that look good on me- anything that makes me look pregnant isn't the look I'm going for. My thoughts now are leaning towards a retro-style, done in a Liberty print (obsessed with the Liberty of London lawns, and I can finally justify buying a few yards!). I love A Dress A Day and this gives me great excuses to read every back post.

I realized I forgot to add that the wedding will be on the coast, followed by a clambake. This will be a relaxed, fun, happy occasion. Things are coming together nicely (guest list held firm at 50, invitations ordered) and I really only need to find my dress pattern and get to it. My mom is a good sewer (I still have the lined satin bolero jacket she made in one week _while working full time_ for me in college). My sister likes hemming (call her crazy, but that's a life saver). My idea here is that both of them will work on the dress with me. My mom and her mom made mom's wedding dress and I always thought that was really cool.

Curvy- comfy- flattering- and something I can play frisbee in after the wedding- that's it, dear readers! Send me ideas, please! (and Reethi- I nearly changed my mind after viewing those Burda wedding dresses- gorgeous)

the picture is me in Paris last spring, on a bench near my friend's school

7 comments:

cidell said...

Haha. Ok. I was just about to send you the link to the new Burda wedding dresses. I think the Jackie O style one would be soooo cool on you!

Stephanie said...

Ohh Retro would be AWESOME!

rosanne said...

I have to second Cidell's idea of the bridal suit - gorgeous! But, if you want to play frisbee afterwards? I see a bias sheath in your future, much like the third photo in the Burda series (photo #16) hemmed at mid-knee. Maybe something like a white crepe with a girly flowery print chiffon overlay? Something to show off your legs...I have the April Patrones; I'll send you the pdfs.

rosanne said...

Here are some initial suggestions:
Vogue 8417, the knee length view, in a shantung preferably
Vogue 1032, hemmed at the knee, a figure hugging, curve loving sheath if I ever saw one...
Vogue 8113, view A, please see my earlier comment regarding the overlay but this is what I was envisioning...
Vogue 7797 - also bias cut but will highlight a super sexy back
Vogue 2961 - perfect for a liberty print!! vintage, too

shall I go on?

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

OMG, that photo is hilarious!!

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

PS I'm with cidell about the Jackie O style...I actually have a pillbox hat (antique) that I restored to wear for my own wedding. we could recover it with appropriate fabric and ... I will get out of the way. Let me know how I can help...

Heather said...

Congratulations on your engagement - I'm behind in my blog reading... your wedding sounds like it is going to be delightful. Our wedding was relatively small, at my mom's house in the Napa Valley and we did a lot of things like the flowers ourselves. It was really fantastic that way and it sounds like yours will be too.
Heather