Saturday, December 29, 2007

Fabric frustration


Tonight I decided to copy my favorite fitting skirt. The original is corduroy, but I'm trying to copy it in a 90% silk 10% wool fabric. Overall it shouldn't be a problem, I think, but I'm having some trouble with the waistband. The waistband on the corduroy skirt is about 4 inches wide, but I think to do that successfully with the silk/wool fabric I'll have to use some interfacing and something sturdy on the back facing...

I also cut out a regular (patterned) skirt in navy babywale corduroy. This Chicago winter weather is a great excuse to make lots of corduroy skirts!

4 comments:

cidell said...

Don't hold me to this, but I read somewhere that sturdier silks like tweed need to be fully interfaced / interlined. I think I read it on a sewing board which referenced Fabric Savy. Or something? Gah.

Love the photo!

I always have corduroy pants on my list of things to sew. The last few years it's been a pink corduroy swing coat.

JuliaR said...

Corduroy skirts are the best for cold and windy days. Extra long and lined (or with a slip) plus leotards (tights), knee high boots and leg warmers if it is below minus 20C. Hmm, I've got a length of beige corduroy just sitting in a box waiting... and it won't be warm until May around here.

Anonymous said...

I am beyond impressed, on a regular basis, with your sewing chutzpah and resultant amazing creations. I'm really excited to see how this one turns out, interfacing and strengthening the waistband makes a lot of sense, have a blast!

Anonymous said...

You need to run to Hancock's and get waistband interfacing- get the more expensive brand, which will make a nice sturdy waistband- it looks more professional/high-end rtw that way. I used this on my linen skirt, only to find that I was not with reality when I cut the waistband and made it much too small.(it doesn't fit now, never mind 30lbs ago, when I cut it out- what was I thinking?) But it does look nice!-Mea