
On the other hand, I neglected to check the width.

So, of course, I'm pretending it isn't too wide and I'm on the ribbing for the leg! In sewing news, I hand-stitched the lining in place. It doesn't look quite right, but...well...learning experience!

Er, this might explain why the lining doesn't hang well. It's all about learning, right!

2 comments:
I can't tell you how many times I have done that mismatch with the facings at the top of the zipper! And it is an easy fix.
Sorry, but first you have to unstitch the higher facing, but only where it is sewed down to the zipper tape (and the lining on that side too). You don't have to unstitch where you have sewed the facing to the upper edge of the skirt. Once the facing is free of the zipper tape, with the zipper zipped up, fold down the higher facing until the top of it is level with and matches the other side, pin it and restitch. Don't worry about folding along the line where you stitched the facing to the upper edge of the skirt. No one will see it as it will be folded to the inside. Press it in place, re-sew the lining to the zipper tape on that side and you are done.
One other thing I usually do is leave the bottom part of the lining opening (where the bottom of the zipper is) free. I only sew the lining to the zipper tape down to about an inch or more away from where the middle lining seam starts. And because of that, I always leave the lining seam unstitched at least a couple of inches below the bottom of the zipper, so it hangs freely. The skirt hangs better in the back that way.
Thanks to JuliaR for the easy fix! I have only made 1 skirt where the facings actually matched, out of more than I care to admit that didn't match! Usually I just say, well, I'll wear a sweater with it and no one will ever know!
Post a Comment