Monday, February 16, 2009

Vintage crochet

This is an afghan my grandmother made in the mid 1980s or earlier. I have two and a half of this style afghans, the half being an unfinished one that we found tucked in her closet after her death. I hope to finish that one someday.


The yarn is acrylic, I'm guessing Red Heart. Today I washed and dried the afghan and it's just as vibrant and non-pilled as ever. That is the good thing about acrylic. And after 25-30 years, it's sort of soft. But when I took it out of the machine, there was a hole. I didn't notice as I put it into the washer that I impaled the afghan on the center agitator post.


Any ideas for how to fix it? Just get some purple acrylic and go for it with a crochet hook or is there a better approach?

Oh- the baby sweater for my friends in Maryland is almost done. I was going to put the zipper in today when I realized I bought a non-separating zipper. So tomorrow I hope to get a separating zipper (in keeping with the cardigan style) and put this sweater in the mail!

(uh, yes, I did forget to do ribbing on the cuffs, how did you guess? the seed stitch was more fun)

3 comments:

turvid said...

Cute sweater. I hope you can fix the afghan ok, I have no idea how...

I am Arizona; a person, not a place. said...

The sweater looks great! I've never put a zipper in a knitted garment...do a tutorial, if you have a chance to write it and take photos. I'd love to see how its done.

I don't know how to fix the afghan...I'd just take a crochet hook and work it as best I could until it looked good....:)

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

I would make a little mini granny square and sew it in there...I can help you.