Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Pyramid

Check this out. It's like Weight Watchers except you don't have to pay for it. I really am willing to make good food choices, I just need to keep more than a (loose) mental list.

Your Pyramid Stats

Milk Intake 1.3 cup equivalent
Milk Recommendation 3 cup equivalent

Meat and Beans Intake 1.2 oz equivalent
Meat and Beans Recommendation 6.5 oz equivalent

Vegetables Intake 1.7 cup equivalent
Vegetables Recommendation 3 cup equivalent

Fruits Intake 1 cup equivalent
Fruits Recommendation 2 cup equivalent

Grains Intake 8.4 oz equivalent
Grains Recommendation 8 oz equivalent
____________________________________________________________
Tonight when I got home I had a peach minus the ice cream...keeping my fat intake lower than 30% but sadly failing to meet the recommendations for milk. Or fruit. Or...you get the idea.

And they show it in different ways. I particularly enjoy this view:
Dietary Guidelines
Recommendations
Emoticon Number of cup/
oz. Equ. Eaten
Number of cup/oz.
Equ.
Recommended
Grain

Good

8.4 oz equivalent 8 oz equivalent
Vegetable

Average

1.7 cup equivalent 3 cup equivalent
Fruit

Poor

1 cup equivalent 2 cup equivalent
Milk

Poor

1.3 cup equivalent 3 cup equivalent
Meat and Beans

Poor

1.2 oz equivalent 6.5 oz equivalent

Dietary Guidelines
Recommendations
Emoticon Amount Eaten Recommendation or Goal
Total Fat

Good

23.7% of total calories 20% to 35%
Saturated Fat

Average

10.7% of total calories less than 10%
Cholesterol

Good

156 mg less than 300 mg
Sodium

Good

2092 mg less than 2300 mg
Oils * * *
Discretionary calories (solid fats,
added sugars, and alcohol)

*

* *

ps Guess that the bagel with cream cheese at the meeting this morning followed by a cheeseburger as I was driving to clinic wasn't the best combination of foods for today...

1 comment:

cidell said...

While useful, I fear this would depress me.