Monday, May 24, 2010

What I've been working on


Layers and layers of neglect had to be scrubbed off the cabinets, but it turns out they are solid wood (maple?). The stove was a cast-off from a colleague who put in new appliances- and now that we fixed the gas leak in the upstairs bedroom and turned the gas back on, we have a working stove, and hot water from the taps!

ps If you are wondering why/how- the house didn't have electricity originally when it was built about 102 years ago. When they put in electrical wires, they pulled them through the gas lines. Haha!

4 comments:

julia said...

Gorgeous cabinets!

the sandwich life said...

It looks great---the cabinets are gorgeous!!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, the gas lines for electricity seems like a REALLY good idea.

The cabinets are pretty! I need to see you and the house, what the heck are we going to do about that?

Anonymous said...

I think those are Scheirich cabinets (company was in Louisville, KY) and I had identical cabinetry in my kitchen (even the hardware was the same) in an Illinois house built in 1965. I believe the wood is red birch. We couldn't bear to part with them when we updated the kitchen so moved them to the rec room.

Just discovered your blog..very interesting!
Karen