Saturday, February 20, 2010

Pictures


Still haven't found my camera's memory card. But thanks to modern wonders like cellphone with cameras, here's an update. Above, the baby blanket I've been working on for the past year and change. It finally looks like a blanket might happen!


In sewing, I'm working on a pencil-style high-waisted skirt. The lining is too big, I haven't cut out the fabric yet (the woolish blend "assorted fiber" under the lining). I'm not exactly sure where to go with this one. I might just cut the skirt fabric and fit that, then adjust the lining to match.


I bought myself a new wool jacket. The fit is good, the coat is warm, and the sleeves were about two inches too short. I ripped out the hem, and marked a scant 1/4".


Then I sewed grosgrain ribbon to the raw edge (7/8" was the widest I could buy at Hancock's).

At the marked 1/4" line, I steam pressed the fold and pinned the ribbon in place.


Then I hand stitched the ribbon to the sleeve.


All in all, I'm quite pleased. I do have to figure out something with the lining, though. I'm considering sewing another piece of lining material to the existing lining (high up the sleeve so it won't show), or just finishing the lining hem and tacking it to the sleeve where it falls. Suggestions? I think lengthening the lining would look nicer.


And, last but not least, the wonderful present I received from my blogfriend Julia. She is a super talented lady, and her sewing regularly leaves me with my jaw dropped open- and now she has picked up a new craft. Isn't this lovely? Thank you Julia!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just are amazing. That's all.

julia said...

I love that baby blanket. Some ladies at my church are wanting to start a knitting group to knit baby blankets. I'm not a great knitter, but maybe they can teach me! Great idea for fixing your jacket sleeves! Thanks and you are welcome.