Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Back with the camera!

Hello everyone! Sorry for the hiatus- my camera was messed up. Here are a few updates:


the faux fair isle dress is finished!


and matching booties too, to wait for our friends' baby girl this summer.


For a baby girl who outgrew the dress before I finished it- a new dress. I'm having some trouble with the lining. I cut the bodice x2, sewed around the neckhole, then around the arms- and couldn't turn it. Something messy happened on the side seams too.


I am mystified as to how to make the bodice work as a facing/lining around the neck and the arms. Do I have to cut the bodice front into two pieces on the lining side?


It's good to be sewing again, and I forsee a few more baby dresses in the future- like doll clothes but just enough larger to be more fun!

2 comments:

Knitting it Out in an Urban Zoo said...

What beautiful fabric, Sarah! Hmm, baby clothing, sewing, not a bad idea. That bootie is freakin' adorable and I'm so glad to see it finished as I could not picture it from start to finish :)

Julia said...

The last couple of things I've made have lined bodices that had different instructions form the norm. Yesterday I made a sun dress. It had me sew the front piece to the facing, then turn. Then the same with he back. In the old days you would then sew just the dress part of the shoulder together, turn and slip stitch the facing shoulder together on the inside. Does that make sense. The pattern had me sew all the way around the neck, but to leave a 2-3 inch opening on the edge of the sleeve hole across the shoulder. You can turn it at this point. Then I turned the excess at the opening to the inside, (the pattern instructions were to slip stitch it closed. Since I was just making a little cotton sundress I decided to top stitch very very closely to the edge. Does this make sense.? I may try to do a post on this later today if I have time.