
(okay, not actually that many...but thoughts about the year 2009 AD or CE, as you like)A few nights ago we had dinner with some very good friends. Il told me one of her resolutions was to be more mindful, and to stay in touch better with her friends. Those are both resolutions to live by, and I am hoping to live them out this year.
This year I am also trying to think/work/live in metric. In healthcare, metric is commonly used, and the longer I do this gig the more I think in metric anyway. My parents bought the book "Meet the Meters" wayyyy back in the late 1970s, and taught us kids metric measurements, anticipating the great change in the US to metric. Still waiting...but I can do my part to change the US (the rest of the world is already there)!
To start the new year off right, we went skiing at Jay Peak last Friday. It was my (approximately) 8th time on skis and I had a blast! My husband (expert skier) and father-in-law (expert skier, ski instructor) skied with me on the beginner trail and after I fell off the lift, fell on the snow, fell into the trees (that was tricky), I got the hang of it. My sweetie skied sweep behind me (and blocked crazy people from running into me) and my FIL went ahead which was very reassuring so I could see how he did it. I wish we lived in mountain country now, I think I could really love this downhill skiing thing!
On the ride back, a very sleepy 5-year-old nephew alternately napped and demanded "Are you working on my hat, Aunt Sarah? Why not?" The hat I gave their grandpa (my FIL) was a big hit. It's good to have your knitting loved like that.
And this time next week, God willing, we'll be in Nicaragua. I'll do colpos for a day with Mama's clinic in Esteli, then we're on vacation. Perfect time to leave Chicago (forecasted high in Chicago (as we leave) Wednesday 8F, forecasted average in Nicaragua 82F). I just ordered a few light-weight travel shirts to take with me. Finally accepting that I'm a size larger than I was two years ago is helping me dress better (wearing clothes that fit).
A post without pictures is boring, I'm so sorry. Pics later...
ps: They loved the quilt. :)

5 comments:
Glad your presents were all so well recieved! I remember Meet the Meters- Milli was the wife, as I recall!
I have no real resolutions, except to loose the 10+ lbs I gained over the holidays....sigh.
I love when handmade items are loved! And I, too, remember when the US was supposed to change over to metric. I think I was in 4th grade and we learned the metric system all year in anticipation of the change. And then the big let-down...it never happened!! loL! Oh well. At least it taught me to do conversions and to not freak out if something was measured in kg or in Celsius. Have a good time in South AMerica. At least you'll get some warm weather for a while. I can't take the cold anymore!
Hey there - I'm glad my resolutions were inspiring. Let's hope I can stick to them!
Your metric piece is interesting. Coming to the US from Ireland, it was tough to switch from metric back to imperial. My parents grew up in the imperial system, so they couldn't help us with homework. We grew up metric, and now I'm back to imperial. How confusing! At least we've got both on the measuring tape for knitting - just so long as I don't confuse them...
Thank you for the hugs. :)
Yay! I'm so glad your hand knits were well received :)
Post a Comment