Tuesday, November 27, 2007

back to chicago

It was a short week. We quilted, ate, split wood, hung out, went book shopping (it's genetic!), and enjoyed each other- and held each other close. Saturday morning one of my best friends from college called to tell me that another friend of ours had passed away from a viral heart infection. It's still sinking in, really. She had just turned 32, her daughter turns 2 in two weeks, and her husband had two years to go in his job before they were moving back to Maine.

Cherie Porter Landry will be missed.

On a happier note, I learned a lot this week. It turned out that my "purl" stitch was nothing more than a backwards knit stitch and that is why I couldn't really see the pattern in the grey scarf. I also put the blue scarf on bigger needles and it goes faster (yay!).


Dad and I figured out how to set up and use the serger- and we (okay, mostly dad) fixed the tension problem I created in June when we were all home and I bunged up the sewing machine. So Mom & I made two baby blankets, quilted a bunch of coasters, and I used the serger to finish my knit nightgown. Ironic, considering I rarely sleep in a nightgown and if I do, it has to be very lightweight. It was a good learning experience, though!


And the trees that Dad and I took down last fall- were split into firewood this fall. Dad thinks they have enough wood to last them for the winter, and that makes me feel much happier. I've finally reached the point where I can work as hard as my parents could, but they are a little older, not in as good health, and it ends up that I outwork them- or push them too hard if I'm not careful. Before you get too impressed, note that we were using a mechanical wood splitter- all we had to do was haul the rounds (12-32 inches) over to the wood splitter and then haul the split pieces away.


I really want to move back to New England. Working from home this morning, waiting for my luggage to be delivered, and listening to the jackhammers working on the sidewalk, made me a little blue. I want to be home, real home, with mountains and hills and water to play in, not avoid for toxic waste. One more year in Chicago, I know I can do it!

4 comments:

rosanne said...

Sarah, I completely echo your sentiment about wanting to get back to New England! My folks visited me in Phoenix over the holiday this year (it was about time, really)and it was difficult not to compare lifestyles. I'm just not a mid-west kind of girl. Boston is tatooed on my psyche...I'm sorry to hear about your friend Cherie, too. Her family must be reeling still from the shock of losing her.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend...I'm thinking of you and her family!

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your friend! She was much too young.

I don't know why you New Englanders are so enamored with the lovely quaintness and the friendly people. LOL. I'm glad the Midwest has been able to share you with New England. We are blessed.

Anonymous said...

P.S. Scarves look GOOD!