Saturday, June 16, 2007

Lessons learned and shortcuts taken

I've been working on the book Sew What! Skirts and was hoping to post my first skirt today. Alas. After four (really) attempts at making the zipper fit, I learned that trimming the seam allowance to 1/4" wasn't a good idea (this was my idea, not the book!). My handy Singer Sewing book suggested I add bias tape to the seam allowance. Um, yeah, thanks. I went for the good old "eyeball it" method. The zipper isn't great. I'm not posting a picture of it on purpose. But it zips and mostly lies flat.
Here is what I've learned so far: think about the fabric verrrry carefully. I used to love this fabric. Now in all it's skirted glory, I'm not loving it. But it's my project and I'm learning. So, that was lesson two (lesson one, seam allowance trimming). Lesson three: read the directions and don't buy single fold bias tape and try to pin it on the waistline! I was really still planning on finishing this skirt- even though it was about 10:30p- until I realized the bias tape was supposed to be double fold.

I'm going to bed. I used to make most of my own clothes and I can't even put together a simple skirt? But, like everything, it comes back with practice. I managed to fix my own tension tonight instead of going to the store! :) And speaking of store, look what I picked up for $15 at TJMaxx today...


Ah, the joys of a good bargain. And when it's comfy and fits well and is something I'll wear a lot, such as cute shoes pictured left, it's wonderful. It's 11:20p, and I'm taking my wonderful self off to read to sleep. Happy weekend!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still LOVE the fabric. It will be adorable with a little white t-shirt and a light knitted cardigan.

Carry on!

Anonymous said...

To clarify... L I G H T knitted cardi. : )

rosanne said...

I agree with cynical gal about the little white tee with your skirt. It's very cute Sarah!